https://tutorialinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/TutoriaLinux-Penguin-2-Color-300x272.png 0 0 Dave Cohen https://tutorialinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/TutoriaLinux-Penguin-2-Color-300x272.png Dave Cohen2016-02-27 13:27:302017-05-01 00:26:52Sysadmin Links, February (jk March) 2016
It’s been a really long time since the last batch of sysadmin links, so it’s time to get started again. Lots of great stuff to share from the last few months.
- An insanely funny (sarcastic) post about skill training for system administration: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/12hogn/rsysadmins_i_envy_your_jobs_how_can_i_a_college/
- A really nice explanation of how a Distributed Denial-of-Service attack works, in a single image: http://i.imgur.com/Fyhsq.png
- A quick article on how to effectively learn technical information. It gets a lot of this stuff right, even from a scientific perspective: https://medium.com/learning-new-stuff/a-simple-technique-to-learn-hard-stuff-ffaa7879bf7c. I’ll be writing more about scientific research about learning soon — look for new books related to that on the Reading List page.
- Glances is awesome; I’m starting to prefer it over htop: https://github.com/nicolargo/glances (sudo apt-get install glances)
- If you’re spending a lot of time looking at a screen, you’ll probably want to turn down the blues, to give your eyes a chance: http://jonls.dk/redshift/ – this is a great tool! I’ll write a post on it soon.
- Charlie Munger giving a commencement speech with insanely great advice about life: